The world doesn't easily give you what you want. Or maybe it doesn't give you what you want until it's sure you are really clear on what it is you're asking for.
I've been searching for a job and housing for over 3 months. I kept narrowing down the area I wanted to live in, though I also kept open to the idea that the perfect place may be in an unexpected place.
I responded to ads, and checked out dozens of places. Then I decided I should just post a 'room wanted' ad, and tell people who I was, and exactly what I was looking for. I got responses from here all the way to Durango, Colorado. After a Crazy Author, Jewish Widow, Mexican Jazz Musician, Naked Actor, and host of other more mundane renters (some who wanted an invisible roommate that just paid them), I finally signed (today) for a place in West LA.
It's perfectly triangulated between my gym, Trader Joe's, work, and a very good friend. Of course it didn't come easy. A nervous weekend full of anxiety about the place (the guy who was renting didn't contact the landlord for the final OK until today and I wasn't sure I had it), 2 days of my car in the shop (Pep Boys now has major negative points against it and it's Still in the shop even now) and PMSing all added to the tension.
It's a 5 bedroom house w/ 3 (now 4) roommates. All professional guys my age (no loud students) who are clean, no pets, no smoking, no noise, lots of open parking, on a quiet cul-de-sac. I think it will be a very good new beginning.
I'm thrilled, but I spent so long exhausted, adrenalized, hunting, and having so many false starts, that it's more of a worn out 'whoopee' it's over than feeling elated. The full happiness will come in a couple days when my new place has a bed and stuff in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment