Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I feel bad for my psychic roommates clients

Yes, I have an astrologer for a roommate. No, I do not believe in it. I have 4 roommates and live in west LA, I was bound to end up with at least one fruit or nut on the roster.

I believe that so many people believe in astrology for 1 reason. Because it's All About Them. It's not like a regular religion that gives you rules and mores to live by, and tells you how you fit into the universe. It's the opposite, it tells you how important you are, how the stars align for You, what makes You important in regards to the universe.

When I was a kid I was totally(omg!) into astrology. For about a year I would excitedly buy that little monthly scroll by the checkout line, and when I got home I'd pour over it, circling 'important' things and highlighting certain dates that were 'beneficial'. I was 10.

Now, I understand the importance of psychics and astrologers, people are looking for Something to give them guidance when things go awry. It's an adult version of those horrid pep rallies we'd get in school, telling us we were all unique and original, just like everybody else. Rah, rah, you can do it!

But for the adult version, there should be some air of mystery to it, something that makes you think the astrologer actually have a connection to the Higher Planes, that they can see something that will help you. That they have something you don't, which is why you are paying a stupid sum to hear them talk about You.

My roommate is a suck ass astrologer. He makes you read out of 2 books that you can buy at any Borders. For 2 hours. You read outloud, and in silence. He's not kidding when he says it's a reading. That's it. Nothing else, no foofoo, no scarves, candles and scribbles from a guide being channeled through him. You read crap he pulls from 2 books. And you get to keep the xeroxed pages when you leave.

All for the whopping price of $150.

I feel awful for the people he does 'readings' for. They could read the same shit out of a book that cost $15 at the bargain bin ( I know, a couple friends own the books too), and save 135 bucks. Which they likely need in this crappy economy.

No comments: